Sunday, July 13, 2008

An Introduction


Aricle from Prick Magazine - 2003
AUGUST MOON the boldly clad gentleman
by Joy Treacy

I first met August Moon at the 2001 Meadowlands Tattoo Convention. We were at the hotel bar when this gentleman walked past us, almost glowing, wearing a bright mustard hat and suit. This boldly clad gentleman was August Moon. He wore a solid 14 karat gold tattoo machine necklace, that he himself designed.

Charismatic and a delight to talk to, I sat down with August recently and got to know him a little better. August started out in the tattoo business in 1993, working with Philadelphia Eddie. With his artistic background, he picked up the skill quickly and in 1995, he decided to branch out on his own, opening his own shop in Delaware. He has since expanded to a larger studio, one of the largest I have ever seen. In addition to being a well-respected artist in the tattoo community, he is also a very revered businessman.

The respect that he has gained does not come undeserved. His good business sense and participation in helping with the new rules and regulations that govern the tattoo business, have helped establish legitimacy of the industry as a whole. He has worked with the health department and shed new light on current tattoo practices and safeguards in the industry. He credits Cliff Raven and Ed Hardy for taking the first steps to get the tattoo business out of the basement and give it a better image. "The business is more about the art and not just about being a freak," says August. He attributes the success of the tattoo business in the last 10 years to the the collaborative efforts of the community as a whole.

2 comments:

Malicious Intent said...

Thanks so much for my INCREDIBLE piece of art work I get to proudly wear on my back! You know I want you to hurt me some more!

Malicious Intent said...

I just updated my blog, finally! I featured you in it after my small rant. :)

http://maliciousintently.blogspot.com/